|How are Fees
Fees are based primarily on
time spent on a file by lawyers and law clerks. Time is recorded in units of
1/10 of an hour, at the rate applicable to the person doing the work. Other
factors may also affect the fees charged. These include:
- the complexity
and difficulty of the matters
- whether special skill or service was
- the value of the subject matter
- the results obtained
- fees authorized by statute or regulation
Can Fees be Fixed?
For some legal
services, such as standard real estate transactions, simple
incorporations, or wills, we are often able to charge a fixed fee. If
complications arise resulting in additional work, this will be charged
at the rate applicable to the person doing the work.
Hourly Rates Set?
The hourly rates vary depending on the position,
expertise, and experience of each lawyer or law clerk.
What about HST?
Legal fees are subject to HST. (13%).
What Services are Included in the Time Spent?
Services that will be recorded as time spent on your file include
but are not restricted to:
- All meetings, telephone calls and emails
with you or anyone contacted in connection with your file.
- Preparation of all required documents
including letters, memos, contracts, and claims.
- Preparation for and attendance at trials,
hearings, and proceedings.
- Travel time if required.
- All required legal research.
- Waiting time in court.
- Reporting to you.
- Administrative time spent on your